Feb 14, 2014

Greenville Police Beat - Drugs and assaults play significant role this week

On Feb. 6 police responded to Fairview Avenue regarding a possible overdose of drugs (heroin). A witness said the victim was in the bathroom unconscious. The victim was slumped backwards toward the shower/wall. The officer found a pulse and moved the victim to the floor. EMS arrived and began life-saving skills. The officer found a brown belt and what looked like a used needle on the floor, along with an orange cap. The victim was transported to Wayne ER. The witness said the victim left around 6 a.m. and returned around 11:30 a.m. A search with permission produced a capped needle similar to the one on the floor. When the officer arrived at the ER he found the victim fully awake and responsive. When asked how much heroin was used the response was “enough to die.” The victim said “life is just too much anymore.” The heroin was obtained in Dayton. A blood work/toxicology report is being taken regarding possible criminal offense for drug abuse.


On Feb. 10 police were dispatched to Cypress Street regarding a possible heroin overdose. The victim was lying on the kitchen floor unconscious with one witness attempting CPR. She had a pulse but was not breathing on her own. The two witnesses said the victim had been using heroin but seemed evasive about where the heroin and needle were. Greenville Township Rescue arrived and were able to get the victim to breathe on her own. She eventually regained consciousness and was transported to Wayne Hospital for treatment. Once health care records are released they will be reviewed to see if they should be submitted to the prosecutor for charges.


On Feb. 6 police were dispatched to 1603 Martindale Road regarding a vehicle allegedly taken by Shanna Cates’ son, Zack Wilkerson, without permission. She and Jason Landis had gone to Martindale Road to pick it up. Wilkerson said he’d had permission to use it but it became disabled before he was able to return it. Landis told police when they arrived Wilkerson charged out of the house yelling and arguing with his mom. Cates took an ice scraper out of the vehicle and held it up in defense, continuing to argue with her son. Wilkerson allegedly lunged at Landis and swung a metal object, striking him in the right ear and neck area. Landis had a large laceration to his ear and was bleeding. EMS was called. Wilkerson stated he did not touch his mom or Landis; however he had blood on his right and left hand and cuts on his left hand. Wilkerson was arrested for assault and transported to Darke County jail.

On Feb. 8 police were dispatched to 201 Warren St. for an assault complaint. The victim, Cynthia Coffey, said Chaz Tedore asked to come to her residence to talk and watch a movie. Shortly after he arrived they began to argue. Tedore was told to leave; while standing at the door he reportedly became agitated. Coffey ran to her bedroom, Tedore followed and struck her on the back with closed fist. The officer observed a red mark and bruising. Tedore’s roommate confirmed the story. On Feb. 11 Tedore stated while trying to leave Coffey grabbed his jacket and pulled him on top of her; also the incident occurred in her bedroom with the door closed. Tedore was cited for assault.


In the meantime, on Feb. 9 police were again dispatched to 201 Warren St. for a harassment complaint. Cynthia Coffey advised police Chaz Tedore was harassing her on the phone. Tedore called while police were present and was advised to stop calling Coffey or a citation would be issued for telecommunications harassment. The next day police responded again; Tedore called while the officer was there. He was told he’d already been warned, so a citation will be issued to him for telecommuncations harassment.


On Feb. 9 police were on patrol and noticed a vehicle in Captain D’s parking lot, 656 Wagner Ave. The officer discovered the vehicle had been involved in an accident and was stuck in the snow off the parking lot in the lawn area. The defendant, Jason Harmon, wouldn’t open the door, so the officer did it and smelled the strong odor of alcoholic beverage. Harmon allegedly admitted to drinking two liters of whiskey. His speech was slurred, he was emotional, had trouble walking and glassy bloodshot eyes. He was incoherent at times. Harmon did poorly on field sobriety tests and was placed under arrest. At the police station he refused a second breath test after failing the first attempt, then claimed to be having a panic attack. Greenville rescue was called to transport him to Wayne Hospital. While there he became belligerent and had to be sedated. He was issued a citation for OVI and reasonable control.


On Feb. 10 police were dispatched to 501 Wayne Ave. regarding damage to a vehicle. The victim, Kyle Guggenbiller, stated his vehicle had been keyed. There were scratches on the rear passenger quarter panel and trunk. No suspects at this time.

On Feb. 3 police were dispatched to Whirlpool parking lot, 1701 KitchenAid Way, regarding a vehicle scratched. The scratches went to metal and were from the driver’s side rear fender to the rear of the vehicle. The victim, Shannon Stewart, identified a possible suspect. Whirlpool human resources will be viewing a surveillance video to see if the crime can be seen and the suspect identified.


On Feb. 4 police were dispatched to 708 Gray Ave. regarding a theft. The victim, Ebony Redditt, said after she was released from the Darke County Sheriff’s office she spoke with her daughter and the individual caring for her about a missing SSI card. They advised a possible suspect had spent two nights there. The two witnesses advised police the suspect was observed going through Redditt’s purse, after which he left and the card was missing. It was cancelled. Police have so far been unable to located the suspect. See additional story this issue of The Early Bird; Redditt sentenced to 20 days in jail.

On Jan. 4 police were dispatched to Wal-Mart, 1501 Wagner Ave., regarding a theft. Bruce Baldridge was observed selecting items throughout the store then going past all points of sale without paying. At that time he was confronted, left the cart on the sidewalk, entered a red vehicle and left the area. The items totaled $383.13. Police viewed the surveillance video; Baldridge was issued a citation for theft.

On Feb. 1 police were dispatched to Wal-Mart, 1501 Wagner Ave., for a theft. The victim, Julie Mancy, said she was grocery shopping in aisle 10. She turned to select an item on the shelf and when she turned back to her cart her cell phone, which had been lying on top of her purse, was gone. The aisle was packed full of patrons at the time. A video surveillance review was not helpful.


The Greenville Police Beat is prepared from public records available at the Greenville Police Department. Every effort is made to balance the public’s right to know with the rights of the individuals involved. Readers are encouraged to contact Greenville Police if they have information or concerns regarding these or any other incidents they see. The Early Bird notes all suspects are innocent until proven guilty and welcomes comments and concerns regarding this community service.


Post a Comment

Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Best Buy Printable Coupons